Friday, November 18, 2011

Around the world

I am slowly but surely starting to catch up on my magazine reading. What good timing too, as I pick up an old(ish) copy of the New York magazine to discover that it is mostly about design. I always read it cover to cover, but this particular issue was devoured in an hour. Below are some of what I deem to be the most brilliant, beautiful or just darn bizzarre (read interesting) designs featured.

8 House by Bjarke Ingels Group, Copenhagen


Normally I would get dizzy at the idea of being in such a complex, (I get vertigo only looking at cruise ships), but the green roof, water proximity and interior courtyard might just convince me to move in.

Harmonia 57 by Tryptyque, Sao Paulo, Brazil



This is probably one of my favorite designs to date. Not only is it eco friendly but also stunning to look at. The plants are watered using recycled and rain water carried through those very architectural yellow water pipes which contrast so beautifully with the vibrant green of the fauna.

House N by Sou Fujimoto, Oita Japan 


This open box, which incorporated both the interior and exterior garden is such a breath of fresh air it just exudes relaxation, and the patterns created by the shifting light make such unique and interesting patterns throughout the space.

Cheonggyecheon Stream, Seoul, Korea
Isn't it exciting to see how throughout the world architecture and landscape are getting closer together? This beautiful space was created by tearing down the elevated highway that was blocking the stream. Not unlike our very own Highline in NYC.

Keret House by Centrala, Warsaw, Poland

I had to add this because to me it summarizes the great thing about architecture, as with beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder. An art installation for now (I rest my case) it will eventually be a writer's hideaway. Although I'm not sure how many creative juices one can get going in such tight quarters.

Ring Around a Tree by Tezuka Architects, Tokyo Japan


The Fuji Kindergarten classroom makes me want to go back to school. Resembling a tree house it has evolved immensely from what I remember as a classroom, no wonder the kids can't wait to go to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment