Sunday, November 20, 2011

Fauxidermy

My new recent obsession is wall art. More precisely animal wall sculptures. Personally I draw the line at taxidermy. I find it creepy and very, very sad. So imagine my delight when I found these great animal friendly versions I can go crazy with and not feel bad.

Noble Deer scuplture, hand carved in wood and available at www.nova68.com

Papier Mache sculptures available at West Elm - these were made by artists in Haiti as part of a collaboration between the retail store and Aid to Artisans nonprofit. One more reason we should all get one.

Ridged Antelope Horns - Cast in resin from Restoration Hardware


Smooth Antelope Horns - Cast in resin from Restoration Hardware

Steer Horns - Cast in resin from Restoration Hardware
Cardboard Kudu Sculpture by African artist Sharon Boonzaier
If you're thinking that you can't hang one of these sculptures unless you live in a chalet, you're wrong. Just because you live in a modern apartment, a loft or a quaint one bedroom it's no reason to limit your style. I am planning on hanging one of these (undecided on which one yet) above an old fashion bar in our very modern, open space living room. Scale is the key, don't let it overpower what is below or next to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment